Friday, January 22, 2010

bits of work

So for our latest "big" reading project I picked The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. When we finish our school work for the day, me and the boys cuddle up on the couch and read two or three (translate: how ever many they can talk me into) chapters. Our copy has such great line drawings sprinkled throughout the text that I photocopied a couple and let the boys color them. When Levi was done he glued them onto a page for his school book, and then narrated to me as much as he could from the first five chapters, which filled an entire page.In case you are wondering, Micah is totally absorbing it too, because every once in a while he'll shout, "We saw dat in da movbie!" Which brings up another point: Levi is wondering why they made the movie different. Why did they give her ruby slippers, instead of silver shoes? (I know, I know, the red probably filmed better at the time...) I wonder what he'll think as we go further along... (dang. classic or not, maybe we should have read the book first, and then saw the movie for fun. note to self)


And some other work going on around here: some knitting on my needles (could not stop myself from buying that plum-colored wool, thank you for the gift card Gramma & Grampa!)...
A great deal of Bob-building. Micah likes to fix stuff to the tunes of the Bob the Builder CD (though both boys are getting a total kick out of the nearly-wordless Wall*E soundtrack - totally my kids!). He's been wearing his "Bob Builder Hat" a lot lately...


And some stitching I'm working on (with crayon tinting) for someone special...

In that second shot I turned on the flash so you can see the really light leaf motif built into the fabric, but you hardly notice it in real life!

Oh, and before I go, I want to say that Levi got an A+ on his spelling test! The harder words from this list, that he can now spell, are: Gramma, Grampa, Kevin, and Jesus. He had a tough time with Kevin. Three of the letters are the same as his own name, and they're in the same order, but the vowels make completely different sounds! He was really, really proud of himself when I wrote a great big A+ on his test!

No comments: