Friday, December 10, 2010

1948

We have a new addition around here. You see, I started out married life with a new sewing machine, and fought with the thing for years. Eventually I found one a bit older, and that worked okay. Then we found one from the 70's, which worked oh-so-much better, until the few plastic parts in it finally gave out. At this point my hubby went out to the garage and produced an auction-find of his. Literally a two dollar find. A 1948 Singer, from back when they first started putting electric motors on them. The kind that are built onto the table they come with.

Yeah, I know... Well, 1948 and I are getting to know each other, and let me tell you, she's a wonder. A solid piece of history, back before this manufacturing-theory-of-obsolecence nonsense. A quirky lady in her own right. The kind of machine that needs a name...


For our first project together (funny how it seems like I'm working with someone, rather than just using a machine), I chose to up-cycle a shirt I received for Christmas. I layed my baby on it, took some visual measurements, and then put baby down for a nap. Soon as she was out, I whipped out the scissors and cut and stitched her a new little peasant dress.




It was a nice way to spend rest time, me and Lady 48 getting to know each other over such a project. (Did I mention how quiet she is?)

No comments: