Wednesday, March 2, 2011

post 654, in which she rambles about knitting. again.


     Warning:  If you don't care two-pence about knitting, scroll down to the bottom of this post for a quick summary.

     Nana, being a grandmother, likes to buy dresses for her granddaughter, and she is cool about the fact that dresses sometimes start out in a big yellow ball.  Plus said ball of yarn, from Bendigo Woollen Mills, gives her daughter a whopping great ball of fun, so it's a win, win, win all around.

     I crossed my fingers for the size and cast on.  Now, if you are out there thinking of taking up knitting, perhaps in the odds of trying to understand why I post about it so "dad-gum" much, I have to throw in a word.  Don't look at the picture and think, oohh, I guess I better run down to the all-night-knitting store and get some metal double point needles.  See, the first time I went to knit something in the round, I went to the store and bought the only ones I saw, which were metal.

     I deplore metal needles.  They are for speed knitters.  That means they are slippery.  That means if you look up to see what's going on around you, stitches disappear.  This is not good for easily distracted people, such as myself.

     Why haven't I replaced them?  Well, I only use that size for certain things (they are only used on the top 8 rows of this dress, and then I can kiss them goodbye).  And while I dispise metal needles, even more is my loathing for the idea of buying another set of something I already have, if you know what I mean.

     This brings me to another thing I've realized lately.  People in the knit-world are crazy about circular needles.  Me?  Not so much.  I am one of those silly people still clinging to my wooden dbpns.  But I tried some Harmony needles, with their really flexy cables, and I can see why people like them.  I am also sitting on the floor with my 5 little sticks (that's 10 pointy ends, thank you), and my baby, who is speeding towards me with that look.  Can we say catastrophe, both in the baby and knitting departments?

     For the non-knitters out there, let me sum up this post for you:  Blah, blah, blah, knitting, blah, blah, blah, knit, knit, knit, blah, blah, blah.  Bubble-wrap.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Anna, I LOVE to read about your knitting!