Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bits of Our 3rd TV Free Day...

Well, what have we been doing with all this extra time, now that we're not watching TV? Today L decided he wanted to go on a treasure hunt like they do in We Dig, one of his beginning reader booklets. So I told him that if he wanted, we could make some pirate-y things today, and go on a treasure hunt in the morning.
He wanted a sign that said "Pirate's Cove" and where he got that idea, I don't know. So I got two sheets of paper, and I wrote out each letter on mine while he copied them onto his. He decorated it and glued it to a piece of cardboard. Then we rolled several sheets of newspaper to make the stick, and put it all together.

He was really proud of this stuff...

...as you can see!

Then they went for some swashbuckling...


And back to crafting. He just wanted to do some cutting, so I drew a ship and he did the chopping. You can't tell from the photos, but this is actually a 3D piece that stands up.
And these are definately Hammock Worthy - I can not tell you how many times I've been asked to read Wind Flyers or Seaweed Soup since our last library run!
So here's the collection of Pirate Stuff at day's end. The five cards are for our treasure hunt. The boys will be given the first clue card, and follow them along until they find the pirate ship, anchored at Pirate's Cove. Inside the ship will be those two treasure boxes filled with Jelly Belly Beans (that was the treasure in We Dig). I can't wait!

No comments: